September 8, 2010

Turkish Food!

The maids have given me quite the turkish experience of food so far. They are both great cooks... however some of the tastes of turkish food really grosses me out. Some things I don't understand why they would want to eat it... like putting ketchup on their pasta...it just don't interest me... I have tried some things I thought I would never like. I put some yogurt on my rice and meat the other day and it was pretty good. I also wasn't a fun of nutella until I came here and they have so much nutella here its ridiculous. They have it on almost any bread. I only like it on croissants and white bread...but it just doesn't sound good on wheat bread. They also put oil on Almost everything! ... they only cook with oil too. Its kinda weird shopping here because I am so used to the convenience of having everything you want in one store...but its hard to find what you want when its in a different language. Its also kind of weird... they don't have ranch or syrup here... I really miss both of them! I missed normal american food so much that I went to a mall the other day and bought a subway sandwich...yes I worked there for a year and a half and I still missed subway...
Here is a picture of the subway I found...its one of the only restaurants I recognize here...

Here is my face after I realized that subway sandwiches tasted like Turkish food here. :( I was so mad! I wanted Normal food...but they have to go and ruin AMERICAN food! I thought that subway was suppose to be the same all around the world...but NO!

Here are some pictures of the mall I was in! Its crazy big...but its one of the few nice stores in Istanbul...every other store is a small building underneath apartments.


This is the performance circle in the mall! a Turkish group was performing while I was there!


Well... back to food again... haha I am going to post some pictures of the food that most people eat here...





This is what most salads look like in turkey...correct me if I am wrong... BUT THIS IS NOT A SALAD!!!!!!!!!!! ... okay... I just want a normal salad again! lol tomatoes with cucumbers and oil...sometimes vinegar doesn't cut it! just sayin...


Well that is a little about the food... Here are some pictures of a turkish meal I helped make. Its grape leafs with rice and meat wrapped up in them and after we boiled them and made ...a stew I guess you would call it. Than we stuffed green peppers with rice and meat and put them on top! It was really good! a little odd to think I was eating grape leafs.



3 comments:

Angela said...

haha you make me laugh. Subway eh? haha just cant get enough!! I'm sorry it didnt have that delicious american taste ;)

Kozy said...

Haha wow! What an adventure in food! Haha love you chum! I'll see if I can send you some syrup or something (that might not be legal?)

Shari Knudsen said...

Wow what an awesome experience your having. I love reading your blog. Thanks for updating it again. It is also a good journaling tool.